Fall is coming fast and I’m not ready. I have this gorgeous white Merino wool and the soft brown Shetland Moorit to spin. It will make the most beautiful Iceland Sweater for the winter months.
I learned knitting when I was a child from my Grandmother and my Mom. I am thankful for the many lessons and now that I have learned to spin things have come to fruition. A local farm has offered me Sheep wool coming this Fall and Alpaca come this Spring. That will be another learning curve for me to learn the process of skirting, washing & carding all of the beautiful wool. I’m a happy camper!
Dreary wet morning here today in New England. Makes for a good dying day. I have loaded 2 huge stock pots with 2 pounds of Queen Anne’s Lace and the house smells so lemony. I’m looking to get a nice yellow/gold color from these batches to dye some wool for spinning. I have already done a batch of black beans and got a gorgeous color blue and did a batch with dried black walnuts saved from last year. I love the colors from natural dyes.
Jacobean flowers are so fanciful with all the colors and vines winding in and out. I have to say creating this rug has been a blast. It will be almost 4 foot long when finished. I had it all sketched out but when I got near the top portion I made many changes so please ignore my scribbles. I’m thinking of a solid black for a background to make it all pop. I can definitely see doing another in a smaller version for a chair pad.
After picking wildflowers that randomly came up along the woods in my yard and laying them in a basket gave me the idea this would make a nice rug. My intentions were, I thought, pretty good. A nice bunch of flowers in a basket. Yes, I like that idea.
In my stash of wool I have a beautiful cloth that depending on how you look at it is a deep blue or a deep green. It all depends on the light. It would make for a perfect background.
I drew my design up on my cloth and started. I wasn’t at all like the wildflowers I imagined them to be. Rip it out…..start over…..the flowers were to stout and thick…..the basket too large and clunky looking…..maybe an urn? a clay pot?……rip it out and begin again. This poor cloth can’t take much more!
Backgrounds for me are tedious as they don’t change much. I added some movement but it didn’t have the subtlety I imagined sooooooo…..another change in the making. This poor cloth can’t take much more!
I now have the flowers I wanted all along.
Next up, a border….tongues?…..leaves?…. or a combination. I will have to dig deep into the recesses…..or maybe I’ll just wing it!!
I’ve been busy dying wool & spinning Moire thread for a friend. I have to say when I look at the very first wool I spun (yes, I saved it) that was bulky, chunky and so unevenly spun to getting down to the nitty gritty of spinning thread that I am floored at my progress. I’ve been at spinning less than a year, self taught, still learning and wondering what my next adventure in spinning will be. Maybe there’s some Art Yarn in the near future, maybe a Penny Rug or Punch Needle? I think we are all like that, the projects just keep lining up!
I have been hooking for just a couple of months now and I have recently finished another fairly large rug. I’m happy with the outcome but see my mistakes and believe I know how to correct them in the future. This is definitely a learning curve trying to teach myself and I’m sure when I find a class near me it would be very beneficial. So in the meantime I will start a small piece as a teaching/learning tool for myself and see how I fair.
It’s been a cool, rainy couple of weeks here in New England. Perfect weather for staying inside and working on my latest hooked rug. I designed the pattern myself for my love of coneflowers. These pictures were my inspiration. I’ll only give you a snippet of the rug itself for now. I’m working the background at this point and considering how I will do the finish. I’m leaning towards using cording and whipping the edge yet I love the crocheted edge with wool strips in a coordinating color. Stay tuned.
It’s a dull, dreary, rainy kind of day here today so it means being inside. I did go out into the yard and into the woods to gather lichen from the trees and rocks. I want to use it to dye wool to spin. I love using natural dyes. I’ve used onion skins, beets, raspberries & black walnuts so far and I’m up for another challenge. The Lichen being one & I’m thinking Rhododendron, Queen Anne’s Lace, Poke Weed & Sumac to name a few.
I spent some time this morning spinning my own Wool Moire thread, something I hadn’t done before. I love the nubby, rustic texture I got with the Shetland Moorit. The Morino wool is very smooth with little texture. I will have to add more wool types in my stash.
All of my projects took the back burner so I could get some things done in this old house. Give a girl a heat gun and watch what she does……….
I have wanted to strip my front door since I bought my house and now that the inside is done I’m getting outside. I loved the red on my front door but being that it’s inside the Farmer’s Porch it was too dark and I had a pretty good idea of what was under all of the paint. The red went away, the trim was painted the same as all of the trim on the house. Layers and layers of paint was stripped away to find a solid wood oak door that had gorgeous trim. Three days of pulling off paint then the finish work and me smelling like burnt paint from using the heat gun and I’m finally done. I am so happy with the outcome.